[linux-cifs-client] Re: Re: Re: Timestamps not preserved on CIFS mount

Jeff Layton jlayton at redhat.com
Mon Mar 10 11:57:57 GMT 2008

On Sat, 8 Mar 2008 17:32:41 -0500
"Eric B." <ebenze at hotmail.com> wrote:

> >Am Samstag, 8. März 2008 schrieb Günter Kukkukk:
>
> >just some additional thoughts on your problem i forgot
> >to mention.
> >When the samba server on your storage device is not running
> >the cifs "unix extensions", the windows like smb functions
> >are used - so you can probably been hit by the currently
> >failing implementation, too.
> >
> >Btw - many NAS devices (even still sold today) are running
> >samba-2.x.x. I've been told in many places, that users had problems
> >when using cifs vfs - but smbfs was working (for their limited needs).
>
> Thanks for the info.  I'm actually trying cifs b/c of problems I am
> encountering with smbfs; the timestamps work properly, but I keep getting
> error/warning msgs regarding inability to set permissions and/or ownership
> of the files.  For example:
> # cp -a /home/eric/deploy /mount/smbfs
> cp: failed to preserve ownership for `./deploy/checksum.sh~': Permission
> denied
> cp: failed to preserve ownership for `./deploy/checksum.sh': Operation not
> permitted
> cp: failed to preserve ownership for `./deploy/deploy-dev': Operation not
> permitted
>

> I also get the same error msgs if I try rsync instead:
> # rsync -a /home/eric/deploy
> rsync: chown "/mount/bashful/cifs/deploy" failed: Operation not permitted
> (1)
> rsync: chown "/mount/bashful/cifs/deploy/.checksum.sh.TDQedW" failed:
> Operation not permitted (1)
> rsync: chown "/mount/bashful/cifs/deploy/.checksum.sh~.KZ1wck" failed:
> Permission denied (13)
> rsync: chown "/mount/bashful/cifs/deploy/.deploy-dev.KweNfI" failed:
> Operation not permitted (1)
>

> I figured that those probs might be avoided with cifs, and indeed they are,
> but am running into the timestamp issue.  If I could resolve the ownership /
> chown problem in smbfs, I'd be happy to stick with that as well.
>
> Any ideas where I might be able to find help about that?  Maybe a newsgroup
> or mailing list that would be good for smb issues like this?  I was hoping
> to find a resolution for the cifs problem here, but that proves to be too
> difficult, I'll revert to looking for a smbfs soln instead.

I'd suggest first testing a newer kernel. That one is pretty ancient
by now. The RHEL4.6 kernel contains a much more updated CIFS version
and this may "just work" there. If it still doesn't work with that,
then I'd suggest testing the kernels on my RH people page:

http://people.redhat.com/jlayton

...finally, if that doesn't help then open a RH support case
(preferably) or a RHBZ case directly and I'll have a look when I can.

Cheers,