[linux-cifs-client] Re: Re: Re: Re: Timestamps not preserved on CIFSmount

Eric B. ebenze at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 9 05:23:02 GMT 2008

> [...]
> > >
> > >Btw - many NAS devices (even still sold today) are running
> > >samba-2.x.x. I've been told in many places, that users had problems
> > >when using cifs vfs - but smbfs was working (for their limited needs).
> >
> > Thanks for the info.  I'm actually trying cifs b/c of problems I am
> > encountering with smbfs; the timestamps work properly, but I keep
> > getting
> > error/warning msgs regarding inability to set permissions and/or
> > ownership
> > of the files.  For example:
> > # cp -a /home/eric/deploy /mount/smbfs
> > cp: failed to preserve ownership for `./deploy/checksum.sh~': Permission
> > denied
> > cp: failed to preserve ownership for `./deploy/checksum.sh': Operation
> > not
> > permitted
> > cp: failed to preserve ownership for `./deploy/deploy-dev': Operation
> > not
> > permitted
> >

> > I also get the same error msgs if I try rsync instead:
> > # rsync -a /home/eric/deploy
> > rsync: chown "/mount/bashful/cifs/deploy" failed: Operation not
> > permitted
> > (1)
> > rsync: chown "/mount/bashful/cifs/deploy/.checksum.sh.TDQedW" failed:
> > Operation not permitted (1)
> > rsync: chown "/mount/bashful/cifs/deploy/.checksum.sh~.KZ1wck" failed:
> > Permission denied (13)
> > rsync: chown "/mount/bashful/cifs/deploy/.deploy-dev.KweNfI" failed:
> > Operation not permitted (1)
> >

> > I figured that those probs might be avoided with cifs, and indeed they
> > are,
> > but am running into the timestamp issue.  If I could resolve the
> > ownership /
> > chown problem in smbfs, I'd be happy to stick with that as well.
> >
> > Any ideas where I might be able to find help about that?  Maybe a
> > newsgroup
> > or mailing list that would be good for smb issues like this?  I was
> > hoping
> > to find a resolution for the cifs problem here, but that proves to be
> > too
> > difficult, I'll revert to looking for a smbfs soln instead.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Eric
>
> Was thinking about "getting more info" from your
> NAS device.
> Cifs is writing it's debug output to the syslog, often located
> at /var/log/messages.
>

> Please do the following:
>
> 1.) umount that device
> 2.) do 'modprobe cifs' (just to make sure that module is loaded)
> 3.) do 'echo 3 > /proc/fs/cifs/cifsFYI'
> 4.) in a separate console use 'tail -f /var/log/messages' (or similar for
> your distro)
> 5.) use 'mount -t cifs ....' to connect to the device
> 6.) use 'cp -p <src> <dest> to just copy 1 file
> 7.) lots of stuff should be send to syslog
> 8.) email me the new cifs related syslog entries (samba at kukkukk dot

Hmmm  - I tried that but couldn't get any logging to work:

# /sbin/modprobe -l cifs
/lib/modules/2.6.9-34.ELsmp/kernel/fs/cifs/cifs.ko

# tail -f /var/log/messages
Mar  8 23:59:00 apollo kernel: SELinux: initialized (dev cifs, type cifs),
uses genfs_contexts

That's all I get.

If I try to do echo 1 > /prof/fs/cifs/cifsFYI, I get the following:
Mar  9 00:11:39 apollo kernel: SELinux: initialized (dev cifs, type cifs),
uses genfs_contexts
Mar  9 00:11:48 apollo kernel: Status code returned 0xc0000022
NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
Mar  9 00:11:48 apollo kernel: Status code returned 0xc0000148
NT_STATUS_INVALID_LEVEL

however, if I check dmesg, I do get some output with cifsFYI set to 1.  I
have emailed you the output.

> Btw - are you familiar with network sniffers like wireshark (former
> ethereal) ?
> Network sniffs could also help to track that down.

Hmm - ok - not sure how I can use wireshark to track that down; I am working
remotely (no physical access to the machines), and all machines run through
switches.  And the RHEL box is a production server, which makes it hard to
run any type of network sniffer on it (not really supposed to be installing
new s/w on it, etc).

> Btw - using smbfs will only be a temporary solution, cause it will be
> dropped
> from the linux kernel very soon.

I realize that, which is why I am trying to get cifs to work.  But if I
can't, then I might need to revert to smbfs...

Thanks for the help!

Eric