[linux-cifs-client] Re: Re: Timestamps not preserved on CIFS mount

Günter Kukkukk samba at kukkukk.com
Sat Mar 8 22:05:59 GMT 2008

Am Samstag, 8. März 2008 schrieb Günter Kukkukk:

Hi Eric,

just some additional thoughts on your problem i forgot
to mention.
When the samba server on your storage device is not running
the cifs "unix extensions", the windows like smb functions
are used - so you can probably been hit by the currently
failing implementation, too.

I haven't tested that here - will do that later this weekend.

Btw - many NAS devices (even still sold today) are running
samba-2.x.x. I've been told in many places, that users had problems
when using cifs vfs - but smbfs was working (for their limited needs).

Hint for users testing the time stamps functionality regarding windows
mounted servers:
Always check the resulting stuff on the windows box _itself_, too!
Whether using vnc or ssh or having that box nearby.
I have been running into so many troubles, when i was only trusting
the shown results on the linux client side!

Cheers, Günter