[linux-cifs-client] Re: Re: Timestamps not preserved on CIFS mount

Eric B. ebenze at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 8 19:00:08 GMT 2008

"Jeff Layton" <jlayton at redhat.com> wrote in message
news:20080308111703.23e18b11 at tleilax.poochiereds.net...
> On Sat, 8 Mar 2008 09:34:10 -0500
> "Eric B." <ebenze at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> "Jeff Layton" <jlayton at redhat.com> wrote in message
>> news:20080308070914.7c2c8b4e at tleilax.poochiereds.net...

>> > What sort of server are you doing this against?
>>
>> I'm not quite sure I understand the question.  Are you asking about the
>> hardware itself?
>> It's an IBM X series (350 - I think), so a 64 bit installation.  The
>> remote
>> mount is a Maxtor Shared Storage device.
>> # uname -a
>> Linux apollo 2.6.9-34.ELsmp #1 SMP Tue Mar 21 19:33:58 CST 2006 x86_64
>> x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>>
>> Is that helpful?
>>

> Since you're mounting a CIFS share, the type of fileserver that the
> share resides on is important information.
>
> You've told us the type of client you are using -- RHEL4. Is the server
> running the same OS as well? If so, what samba version is it using?

Ahhh - that's a good question.  The truth is I am not sure.  It is a Maxtor
Shared Storage device that is running a version of Linux as firmware, but
have no idea which kernel version, nor what version of samba.  Is there
anyway to remotely query the device to find out?  There is no telnet/ssh
access to the unit - just a simple web interface that doesn't give any
version information.

The firmware dates back to 2006-02-01, so I can be sure that it is based on
technology older than that, but no ideas what version it might be.

Any hints on how to find out?

Tx,

Eric