[linux-cifs-client] Timestamps not preserved on CIFS mount

Eric B. ebenze at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 8 06:46:14 GMT 2008

Hi,

I am running a RHEL4 with a 2.6.9-34 kernel with CIFS 1.34.

It is my first time working with CIFS, so I am not sure if I am doing things
properly.  I am able to mount my external share and access it properly,
however, whenever I try to do a cp -a or a rysnc -t on it, the timestamps of
the copied files are not preserved and are given the current timestamp.
However, if I try to "touch" the file using a reference file (ie: touch -r
<file1> <file2>), the timestamp of the dest file (on the cifs mount) is
updated properly.

Is this a problem with CIFS 1.34, or is it rather a problem in my mounting?

I am mounting the share as:
# mount -t cifs //<share fqdn>/share /mount/cifs -o
username=eric,password=eric

Am I doing something wrong?  Is there anyway I can debug where this problem
is?  It is obviously causing me serious problems with backups.

Thanks,

Eric