[linux-cifs-client] Automounting CIFS home directory upon login without credentials file

Rory Mitchell rors777 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 16:02:52 GMT 2008

Is it possible to automount a CIFS volume as a user's home directory upon
login without the use of a "credentials" file? That is, could I use the
user's login and password as the authentication to mount that CIFS volume,
instead of leaving a domain admin login/password in plain text on our
systems (even if the file does have restrictive permissions). The relevant
lines from my automount files at the moment look like this:

/etc/auto.master:
/home/winhome   /etc/auto.cifs

/etc/auto.cifs:
*       -fstype=cifs,rw,credentials=/root/.adpasswd,sec=krb5,domain=DOMAIN
://winfileserver/users/&

This works fine, provided I have the appropriate login/password in that
.adpasswd file. If it's not possible to eliminate it, is it even possible to
hash the passwords so they aren't in plain text?