[linux-cifs-client] CIFS and rename of open files

Jeff Layton jlayton at redhat.com
Mon Jun 30 13:00:11 GMT 2008

On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 09:52:23 +0200
Wilhelm Meier <wilhelm.meier at fh-kl.de> wrote:

> Hello Jeff,
>
> Am Freitag, 6. Juni 2008 schrieb Wilhelm Meier:
> > Am Freitag, 6. Juni 2008 schrieb Jeff Layton:

> > > I was looking at the problem earlier this week, but haven't
> > > gotten all the way to a solution. The issue is very dependent on
> > > server behavior, with windows servers being particularly
> > > problematic. I've been doing some experimentation, but haven't
> > > found a solution that seems to work well for all cases.
>
> is there any progess or activity from your side? I'm asking because
> this is a show-stopper using cifs-homes for users with newer
> kmail-versions.
> Or do you know any workaround in this respect?

I'm afraid that I've been sidetracked into other things and haven't had
time to touch this. The problem is (I think) that CIFS currently tries
to set the DELETE_ON_CLOSE bit using the create flags in the open call,
but this only works if the file is actually being created. So we need
to set the bit with a SET_FILE_INFO call and then try to rename it.

I'm probably wrong on some of this though, this turns out to be a rather
tricky situation to handle correctly, and it will probably take some
experimentation to get it right. I don't know of any workarounds for
this at the moment...