[linux-cifs-client] Re: Cannot mount LANServer network storage device

Steve French (smfltc) smfltc at us.ibm.com
Sat Jun 14 22:55:03 GMT 2008

> Mounts OK from Windows XP and 2000.
Possibly because they don't do the Unix Extensions
(unless they are a very old lanman device in which case
smbfs has a few features which cifs does not have for such
extremely old devices).

> Can't mount from Linux
> $ ll /mnt/users_space
> ls: cannot open directory /mnt/users_space: Not a directory
>
> That is the target directory cannot be read!!
>
> I first tried this using smb4k with the same result.
>
> Often I get a failure of the mount command with
>
> mount error 20 = Not a directory

> I can mount the device using an old version of ubuntu using smbfs
> instead of cifs.  I can access files on the device using Nautilus in Fedora 7
> and 9 but this does mount it.
>
> Clearly cifs does not do everything that the previous samba client did.
It is probably the reverse - smbfs was not doing the current unix extensions (posix
extensions) to the protocol so did not run into some types of problems with buggy servers.
Linux cifs.ko can drop down to not using the Unix Extensions (as Windows does)
If "echo 0 > /proc/fs/LinuxExtensionsEnabled" before mount caused the mount to work or
equivalently specifying the "nounix" worked - that would imply a buggy server
implementation of the Unix Extensions.

Your kernel is running cifs version 1.50 (current is cifs 1.53) some missing
fixes include a fix when doing a second mount to the same server when the first mount
was disconnected (the second mount can fail in this case when it should automatically
reconnect instead).