[linux-cifs-client] Vantec NexStar LX regression with 2.6.25 (was Re: Cannot mount LANServer network storage device)

Gautam Iyer gi1242+samba at stanford.edu
Fri Jun 13 05:35:57 GMT 2008

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 11:57:47PM -0500, Christopher R. Hertel wrote:

>> I've run into a fair number of these sorts of devices that use a
>> downrevved version of samba and that have spotty support for unix
>> extensions. You might want to also give a quick test mounting with '-o
>> nounix' and see whether that makes any difference.
>
> There are also one or two new CIFS server implementations coming out
> of Asia these days.  The Vantec NexStar LX is one example.

Does someone on this list actually use the Vantec NexStar LX? I had one,
which was working fine on the 2.6.23 kernels, but borks on the 2.6.25
kernels. If I try rsync-ing large directories, or copying multiple large
files simultaneously my syslog is plagued with a whole bunch of lines of
the form

    CIFS VFS: Write2 ret -28, wrote 0
    CIFS VFS: No response to cmd 47 mid 67
    CIFS VFS: Write2 ret -11, wrote 0
    CIFS VFS: Send error in read = -11
    CIFS VFS: Send error in read = -5

It worked great (although at really low speeds) on the 2.6.23 kernels.
And it works fine with other OS's. But with CIFS & 2.6.25, the Vantec
NexStar LX is pretty much a paperweight.

If anyone knows what I can do to avoid these errors (or if anyone has
this working well with recent kernels), please let me know.

Thanks,

GI

--
100 THINGS I'D DO IF I EVER BECAME AN EVIL OVERLORD
89. After I captures the hero's superweapon, I will not immediately