[linux-cifs-client] CIFS VFS: Send error in read = -12

Jeff Layton jlayton at redhat.com
Wed Jun 4 20:06:06 GMT 2008

On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 12:26:21 -0700
Noah Romer <nromer at arcmailtech.com> wrote:

> Jeff Layton wrote:
> > Almost everything is at 1, but there are a few other levels. Generally
> > I just set it 7. It can get chatty though and can bog down the machine,
> > so I wouldn't plan to run it that way for long. Ideally, you'll want to
> > set it to 7 just before reproducing the problem and set it back to 0
> > just after it occurs.
> >
> Ok. I cranked cifsFYI up to 7 and ran the load that had failed several
> times before. No dice. The app ran and completed. It did generate a
> healthy amount of debug data, though, including several apparently
> non-fatal errors: 112, 11, 32, 104 and 9. The bzip2 compressed log file
> is 1.1MB. That seemed a little large to post to the list, so I've put it
> up at http://www.eskimo.com/~klevin/messages.bz2 .

Ouch -- sounds like cranking up the debugging changed the timing in
such a way that the problem didn't occur. Looking at the debug data
isn't likely to be helpful.

You probably have 2 options:

You may want to see if you can determine what system call is generating
this error (probably by stracing the application that's running).

You can then try to instrument that codepath and determine the cause
that way...