[linux-cifs-client] Re: CIFS

Steven French sfrench at us.ibm.com
Tue Jun 3 22:00:58 GMT 2008

> I get a multitude of errors like these:
>
>  > tail /var/log/messages
>
> Jun  3 12:26:17 testmation kernel:  CIFS VFS: Error 0xffffff90 on
> cifs_get_inode_info in lookup of \logmaster
This is "EHOSTDOWN" (the network connection or the server went down or is
not available).

 Is is this a CIFS 1.10 issue? Would it be resolved if I installed a
> later version of CIFS?
The more important version number is the version of the kernel module for
cifs (you can run modinfo on cifs.ko or "cat /proc/fs/cifs/DebugData" to
display the version of the cifs module).   Version 1.10 is the version of
the small mount helper utility.  It is possible that this is a client bug
which has been fixed, but there are many possible causes which are more
likely (server or network failure included).

Steve French
Senior Software Engineer
Linux Technology Center - IBM Austin
phone: 512-838-2294
email: sfrench at-sign us dot ibm dot com