[linux-cifs-client] CIFS VFS: Send error in read = -12

Steve French (smfltc) smfltc at us.ibm.com
Sun Jun 1 21:09:10 GMT 2008

> What does "CIFS VFS: Send error in read = -12" mean?
>
> Is it that the Linux client side has run out of memory or the server (Windows
> Server 2003 R2) that's run out of memory?

I would have expected that it was on the client, but changed my mind when I noticed that if it were reporting out of memory on the tcp sendmsg it should also have logged "Error 12 sending data on socket to server" (so there are only a few other places where out of memory is logged, such as allocating the small amount of memory for a mid entry - but that would not be an issue if there were fewer than five or six SMB/CIFS requests active from the client at that time).    ERRNOMEM (rc=12) is also returned when the server says it is out of resources (or out of memory or short on paging space)