Fwd: [linux-cifs-client] Again: question about CIFS versus smbclient.

Stef Bon stefbon at gmail.com
Sun Jul 27 17:02:56 GMT 2008

Stef,

my experiences with cifs are the following:

A problem with cifs is the poor support for samba servers using unencrypted
passwords ("encrypt passwords" set to no). I need access to such a server
(on AIX) and due to this I am still on Fedora 4 with kernel 2.6.26. cifs
should support unencrypted passwords if compiled with
CONFIG_CIFS_WEAK_PW_HASH=y and and after putting 0x37 into
/proc/fs/cifs/SecurityFlags, but this does not seem to work (see my posting
http://lists.samba.org/archive/linux-cifs-client/2008-July/003154.html).

Unfortunately the admins of this samba server won't change "encrypt
passwords" to yes as they do not want to maintain samba passwords. They
prefer using OS authentication.

When is your article going to be published? Could you send me a note?

Thank you!