[linux-cifs-client] Mounting OS/2 shares with cifs

Suresh Jayaraman sjayaraman at suse.de
Fri Jul 18 09:22:17 GMT 2008

Hi Steve and all,

smbfs has been obsoleted and slated for removal as it has been replaced
by cifs. But as I understand cifs is unusable with OS/2 shares. Some
customers who had been using smbfs to mount OS/2 shares for a long time,
think this is regression introduced by cifs over smbfs and their
installations are going obsolete.

I don't have access to a OS/2 box and so I don't have much information
on the current status of OS/2 support - all I have is little information
from bug reports. Would like to know about the current status and user
experiences with recent kernels as well.

Given that there is a considerable userbase, do we have a plan to
support mounting OS/2 shares? I would like to hear what is the
community's take on this?

Suresh Jayaraman