[linux-cifs-client] Strange kernel messages like "CIFS VFS: strtoUCS: char2uni..." appearing

Marko Käning mk362 at mch.osram.de
Thu Jul 10 12:04:29 GMT 2008

Hi,

I have the tool storeBackup doing my server backups on a mounted
linux-hosted CIFS share.

See my fstab entry here:

---8X---
//server/backup  /backup-remote       cifs
noauto,noexec,nodev,user_xattr,username=m.kaening,credentials=/root/ADMIN/backup/credentials,uid=kaening,gid=users,dir_mode=0770,file_mode=0770
0 0
---8X---

What I do see during the backup procedure are messages like these in my
syslog:

---8X---
kernel:  CIFS VFS: strtoUCS: char2uni of -28 returned -22
kernel:  CIFS VFS: strtoUCS: char2uni of -28 returned -22
kernel:  CIFS VFS: strtoUCS: char2uni of -4 returned -22
kernel:  CIFS VFS: strtoUCS: char2uni of -4 returned -22
kernel:  CIFS VFS: strtoUCS: char2uni of -10 returned -22
---8X---

Lots of them. Nevertheless the backup seems to work.

Since I am German I use umlauts in path names, which might be the cause of
this. But I would like to find out which files or paths are affected. How
to do this and how to avoid this trouble in the future??? Possibly only
renaming of relevant paths is a way out, I guess?!

Regards,
Marko