[linux-cifs-client] File Locking

Chris Roberts cjr at tridentgarages.co.uk
Wed Jul 9 10:57:24 GMT 2008

We seem to have a problem whereby both a user on the W2K server and a user on
a Linux client can both access a file simultaneously.

For example:

 * User 1 opens the file and starts working on it
 * User 2 opens the file and starts working on it
 * User 1 saves the file and exits
 * User 2 saves the file and exits
 * User 1 has lost their changes

I don't think it matters which user opens the document first.

The mount was made with:

sudo mount -t cifs //hostname.domain.com/D$ /path/to/mointpoint -o
auto,rw,uid=1001,gid=1006,file_mode=0664,dir_mode=0775,iocharset=iso8859-15,credentials=/path/to/credentials

This was working fine a few months ago, indeed it even prevented a second user
from opening the file as read-only.  I have a horrible feeling I may have
tweaked something to get around that problem, but if so, I cannot remember
what.  Or perhaps it changed on the last update.

I cannot work out how to determine my version of cifs, but smbfs is
3.0.24-6etch10.

I would appreciate any pointers to resolve this problem, which is resulting in
lost work for my users.

Thank you.

--
Chris Roberts