[linux-cifs-client] Improving auto.smb for user mounts

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Mon Jan 28 19:34:38 GMT 2008

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008, simo wrote:

> Another strategy we are pursuing is supporting transparent user
> authentication (also replies on kerberos cached crdentials) on existing
> mount points. IE you mount something like /home and then authentication
> happen transparently (new session setup and all) when a user walks
> in /home giving him proper access to his own and other users directories
> similar to what you can do with NFSv4 too (at least on Solaris, not sure
> what the status of transparent krb5 auth is on Linux).

Yes, that works in linux.  The only thing I was a bit iffie about was what the
behaviour should be when the credential expires.  Users coming back to their
desk to discover their job has bailed out 99% of the way through with an I/O
error, isn't particularly winning.

jh

--
"Home is the place where, when you have to go there,
  They have to take you in."                          -- Robert Frost