[linux-cifs-client] Improving auto.smb for user mounts

Joe Krahn krahn at niehs.nih.gov
Mon Jan 28 17:48:19 GMT 2008

I am working on my own version of auto.smb to handle auto-mounting of
shares with SMB user access control, and I would like to know if the
CIFS developers think my plan is useful, or if there are better
alternatives being planned. It seems that there are no really good
solutions due to various design incompatibilities, but maybe this is OK,
at least for the near future.

My idea for auto.smb is to support a key with a @ symbol, in the form
"user at host". Shares auto-mounted under that key use that user's
credentials, and also sets the file permission options to match that
user. This allows system-level auto-mounting, but keeps user-level
access control.

I have this working right now, except that SElinux is getting in the
way. The disadvantage is having to store credentials in a file, but it
should be possible come up with an alternative method that requires
manual password entry.

Thanks for any suggestions,
Joe Krahn