[linux-cifs-client] Re: projected date for mount.cifs to support DFS junction points

Steve French smfrench at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 20:28:40 GMT 2008

> to CIFS not supporting DFS junction points.  Any projected date for that
> to be supported?

I anticipate that it will make Linux kernel 2.6.25 (marked
experimental) and eventually in a cifs version 1.53 backported for
older kernels.

Most of the support required for CIFS DFS for the Linux client has
been written, reviewed and merged already.  The servers (Samba,
NetApp, Windows etc.) have supported DFS for years.   This week I am
reviewing four reasonably small patches to the Linux cifs client from
Igor Mammedov (also on the linux-cifs-client mailing list) that
provide the remaining pieces on the client side.  Igor has done some
excellent work here.

The two questions being discussed are:
1) the size of the mount data retained for each implicit submount
which occurs when we cross a DFS junction
2) the structure used to pass the dfs referral info around

Steve