[linux-cifs-client] Re: Problem with mounting CIFS

Steve French smfrench at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 17:25:54 GMT 2008

On Feb 18, 2008 3:12 AM, Nico wrote:
> While trying to mount a share of our new Windows 2003 server on my linux
> workstation, I got the following error:
>
> mount error 13 = Permission denied
>
> The kernel version I use is Linux 2.6.24.
>
> The windows server is:
> Windows Server 2003 3790 Service Pack 2
>
> I've pasted the relevant bit of debugging output below.
> From what I can gather, the problem originates in fs/cifs/cifsencrypt.c:
> cifs_calculate_signature() when called from cifs_verify_signature()

Yes - that is the area to look at - based on the "Unexpected SMB
signature" error below - the server or client has requested smb
signing and the client does not like the signature that the server
sent.

> ========== dmesg output ==========
>  fs/cifs/connect.c: Security Mode: 0xf Capabilities: 0x1f3fd TimeAdjust: -3600
>  fs/cifs/sess.c: sess setup type 2
>  CIFS VFS: Unexpected SMB signature
> Status code returned 0xc000006d NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE
>  fs/cifs/netmisc.c: Mapping smb error code 5 to POSIX err -13
Do you know if you are using NTLM or NTLMv2?  You may be able to force
it to one or the other by passing "sec=ntlmi" vs. "sec=ntlmv2i" (or
sec=ntlm or sec=ntlmv2 if you don't want signing) on the command line.
  There had been some problems with the parsing of the security and
signing flags in conjunction with each other (e.g. specifying "mount
-t cifs //server/share /mnt -o sec=ntlm,sign" on the command line vs.
specifying "mount -t cifs //server/share /mnt -o sec=ntlmi" which
should mean the same thing)

There had been a signing bug (although I thought it was fixed a few
releases ago)  a long time ago (and has long ago been fixed) if you
mounted (with cifs signing turned on) twice to the same server with
different credentials (username/password) that signing was broken
because we used the wrong signature for the 2nd SMB uid.  That
shouldn't be a problem now but wanted to make sure that this is the
only cifs mount to that server from this client.

Steve