[linux-cifs-client] Backporting cifs 1.50 to an old kernel (2.6.11)

Seb James seb at esfnet.co.uk
Tue Feb 5 15:39:20 GMT 2008

I downloaded cifs 1.50 and want to try backporting it to the rather
ancient kernel 2.6.11.

First problem:

What to do about the mutexes in fs/cifs/file.c? For example in file.c
line 877. This is new code compared with fs/cifs/file.c in kernel
2.6.11. file.c (and the rest of cifs) actually compiles if all the
mutex_lock() and mutex_unlock() functions are commented out and I see
there are several other locations in the code which deal with testing
for particular kernel versions.

What to replace them with? Semaphores? What would the equivalent
function call be for kernels < 2.6.17 (which I think is the version to
which Ingo Molnar's mutex code was added)?

It would be nice to get this working for older kernels.

best,

Seb James