[linux-cifs-client] cleaning patches for smb_send and smb_send2

Jeff Layton jlayton at redhat.com
Fri Dec 19 12:06:43 GMT 2008

It looks like Linus is going to open the merge window fairly soon. I'd
like to see if we can get to some sort of consensus on the attached
patches. It makes no sense to me to have smb_send/sendv keep retrying
in a loop on blocking sends. Those are just unnecessary wakeups when
the machine could be doing something else useful.

The current point of contention is what an appropriate send timeout
should be. My feeling is that it doesn't make sense to use different
send timeouts for different calls. Sure, it may take longer to complete
a write than a QPathInfo call, but that's not necessarily the case. If
the server is hammered trying to satisfy writes, a QPathInfo call might
take just as long. It's best IMO, to just have a single timeout.

The paramount thing to strive for here is consistency in the user's
expectations. How would we explain that some calls may time out sooner
than others? To do that is to make a judgement that some calls are
more important than others. I don't think we can assume that, since
that's highly dependent on the application.

Eventually, I'd like to see us drop the non-blocking send code
altogether. IMO, "noblocksnd" and "noautotune" are not helpful mount
options for users. A mount option that allows them to set the sndtimeo
may be, but I think that's dependent on using a single send timeout.

Thoughts?