[linux-cifs-client] mount.cifs permission denied problem

Marco Stornelli marco.stornelli at coritel.it
Thu Dec 4 10:36:11 GMT 2008

Hi all,

I'm trying to make a file server with samba. I have got a folder called
shared and I'd like to have N sub-folder for N users. The permission
pattern is 755. Everything works both with Linux and Windows client. It
doesn't work if mount the shared folder with mount.cifs. The situation is:

drwxr-xr-x 2 1001 users 0  3 dic 13:38 folder1
drwxr-xr-x 2 1002 users 0  3 dic 13:39 folder2
drwxr-xr-x 2 1003 users 0  3 dic 13:40 folder3
drwxr-xr-x 2 1004 users 0  3 dic 13:41 folder4

If I use:

mount -t cifs -o credentials=<file>,gid=users,uid=1001 //<ip>/sharedoc
<mount_point>

(uid 1001 is the uid of user1)

when I enter in the folder1 and I try to create a new folder, for
example, I receive the error permission denied! But the owner of folder1
is user1! This thing happens only with mount, with smbclient command
everything works. Can you help me?

Thanks.

Marco