[linux-cifs-client] Re: Support for applications which need NFS or CIFS "share_deny" flags on open

jim owens jowens at hp.com
Tue Dec 2 21:20:18 GMT 2008

Steve French wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 2:06 PM, Jamie Lokier <jamie at shareable.org> wrote:
>> The bit I find interesting is that other CIFS clients are said to
>> implement these flags.  If that means real unixes, maybe they've
>> worked out a sensible way to handle them?
>
> I thought that MacOS uses these flags (not just Windows, and of course
> older clients too OS/2, DOS etc.).

The title of their proposal was "client"... as in not the local
filesystem, but the impression of what wine really wanted is
for local linux filesystems to implement these non-posix behaviors
so "wine apps can run just like on windows" on the local machine.

Thus the strong objection from everyone doing local filesystems.

Passing exclusive DENYREAD DENYWRITE DENYDELETE network
protocol flags from a linux client to a remote server
is an entirely different and IMO acceptible thing.

And AFAIK on unix the only local support would be by doing
a client-on-server loopback, where the server implements
these modes as best it can and you are only protected
against wine apps that are also inside the "share drive".

jim