AW: [linux-cifs-client] plain text password authentication

Michael Wulff mwulfff at yahoo.de
Fri Aug 29 14:30:33 GMT 2008

--- Steve French <smfrench at gmail.com> schrieb am Mi, 27.8.2008:

> I have attached a small patch to fix plaintext password
> authentication.
>
> If anyone has test feedback, that will help me determine
> whether to
> request to merge the fix with mainline quickly or wait.

Hi Steve,

I could test your fix today. Unfortunately the cifs mount still does not work for the samba server (samba version 3.0.23c) on AIX 5.3 with encrypt passwords set to no:

# mount -t cifs -o username=user //host.domain/share /mnt
Password:
mount error 13 = Permission denied
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)
#

/var/log/messages shows the following:

CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -13

I have another even older samba (v2.2.7) on AIX 5.1 which I can configure myself. I set encrypt passwords to no and curiously here the cifs mount works with and without your fix.

I am using Fedora 9 w/ kernel 2.6.25-14.

Michael