[linux-cifs-client] Download cifs.ko

Jeff Layton jlayton at redhat.com
Thu Aug 21 11:53:58 GMT 2008

On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 09:39:47 +0200
"Jose Alberto Acebes" <josealberto170 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I cannot download the cifs.ko module from the URL
> http://pserver.samba.org/samba/ftp/cifs-cvs/cifs.ko-rhel4-cifs-1.33. Does
> anyone know what is the problem? Does exist any other repository for cifs.ko
> modules that frees me up of compiling? My kernel version is
> Linux 2.6.9-5.0.3.ELsmp #1 SMP Sat Feb 19 19:38:02 CST 2005 i686 i686 i386
> GNU/Linux
>
> Thanks in advance.

Yow! Presuming that you're using a RHEL kernel that was built at RH, you
do realize that that kernel has no bug or security fixes that have been
released in the last 3.5 years? I *highly* recommend upgrading to
a newer kernel unless you have a very good reason not to, and an
understanding of the risks involved.

That said...I don't think there are any ABI changes required in later
kernel revs that would prevent you from plugging a cifs.ko from a later
RHEL kernel into that one. In principle, you could get a later
kernel-smp package and extract the cifs.ko from it using rpm2cpio. I've
never done this between such a large span of kernel versions so you'll
be in uncharted (and as far as RH support goes, unsupported) territory.

Cheers,