[linux-cifs-client] Error while copying data from CIFS share

Marko Käning mk362 at mch.osram.de
Tue Aug 19 13:02:41 GMT 2008

Hi Jeff,

> It certainly sounds like a bug of some sort. What kernel version are
> you running on the client, and what sort of server is this?

My client machine runs:

 Linux client 2.6.22.18-0.2-default #1 SMP 2008-06-09 13:53:20 +0200 i686
 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

 with Samba 3.0.26a

and the remote server:

 Linux server 2.6.16.53-0.8-smp #1 SMP Fri Aug 31 13:07:27 UTC 2007
 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

 with Samba 3.0.22

You stated already a while ago that especially the remote server hosting
the CIFS share is "pretty old"... But I can't hope that it would get an
update very soon.

At the moment it looks like as if it does not make sense at all to verify
my backup data, since that's when the deadly errors occur.

Sorry to have bugged you again with all this. Since I can't really run
debugs or write big logs I am quite stuck here. Probably have to live with
it for now until the remote server gets an update one day.

Regards,
Marko