[linux-cifs-client] Error while copying data from CIFS share

Marko Käning mk362 at mch.osram.de
Mon Aug 18 09:32:07 GMT 2008

Once again I got errors while copying data FROM a CIFS share.

Resulting files were once again TOO SHORT:
---
-r--r----- 1 kaening svncvs1 2700000 28. Mai 2004  m536.FIS,v
-r--r----- 1 kaening svncvs1 4429920 28. Mai 2004  m546.FIS,v
---
I'd expect m536.FIS,v to be at least as long as m546.FIS,v. Odd is again
the number of zeros here which clearly shows that this is only a buffered
residual of the real file... Data transfer must have stopped in the
middle. :(

And a second case:
---
-r--r----- 1 kaening svncvs1 1145433 26. Sep 2002  13N7413_7-Teil A.pdf,v
-r--r----- 1 kaening svncvs1 4495000 26. Sep 2002  13N7413_7-Teil B.pdf,v
---
showing that the second file is also not correct.

Files are fine on the CIFS share itself. This I could verify easily
downloading those two files separately.

The cutoff and those zeros might also be caused by bunzip2, since the
original files are *.bz2 on the CIFS share, get copied from there and
locally unpacked.

Checking my /var/log/messages reveals NOTHING for that day.

Don't know what to do about it. Happens sporadically and only when I copy
large amounts of files (like in my backup here)...

A pain to debug...

Any idea?