[linux-cifs-client] Re: linux-cifs workflow and git trees (was: cp -p localfile to a winnt, w2k0, winxp server - and legacy servers)

Günter Kukkukk linux at kukkukk.com
Wed Aug 6 03:44:08 GMT 2008

Am Dienstag, 5. August 2008 schrieb Steve French:
> OK - if you want to send them inline (only) then cc: them to
> smfrench at austin.rr.com so I can read them via Evolution or
> Thunderbird

I think, that those "still technical questions" do not address
the _real_ problem
 - lots of (other) patches are waiting to being reviewed
   (posted to linux-cifs-client at lists.samba.org)
 - improvements to the code are just ignored
 - there are no public (private) [irc] talks to just
   "discuss the priorities how to go on ..."
 - ... cifs development is just slow ...

Steve,
(just a sample)
we just met at random on irc #samba-technical in March 2008
.. and my note about failing "cp -p localfile /mounted/cifs/volume"
caught your attention!

But your immediate action was to "ONLY fix that problem" on servers
running the unix extensions!

You just ignored all my emails, that _recent_ windows servers
were also affected (not talking about completely failing legacy
servers).

Jeff Layton and me were talking on irc and mailed to
linux-cifs-client at lists.samba.org how to address the completely
overloaded cifs_setattr() function and how to solve that
"cp -p localfile /mounted/... " problem.

Jeff wrote a really large patch to address that problem ...

Steve, unfortunately NOTHING happened from your side,
... and now is August 2008 ... (problem first noted in March)

I vote to setup a new cifs developers only mailing list
 - linux-cifs-client-dev at lists.samba.org

To get "the developers as close as possible".

Cheers, Günter

<snip>