[linux-cifs-client] CIFS mount breaks when LinuxExtensionsEnabled == 0

Adam Nielsen adam.nielsen at uq.edu.au
Mon Aug 4 04:07:43 GMT 2008

Thanks for your replies.  While I was extracting the data below, I
discovered that the filesystem does in fact mount even when Linux
Extensions are disabled, it's just that when they're disabled it seems
to take about five minutes before the files appear - like a delayed
mount, if there were such a thing.  Once the files appear unmounting and
remounting shortens the delay to just a few seconds before the files
appear again.  Strange.

I guess it's not a big deal if this delay only occurs during mount, but
I've included the requested information below in case the issue comes up
again.

> I haven't seen this problem. What kind of server are you testing
> against? Can you post the command you're using to mount (including
> mount options, etc).

mount command is just "mount /mnt/web", /etc/fstab is:

//servername/share /mnt/web cifs
auto,nosuid,noexec,nodev,file_mode=0660,dir_mode=0770,uid=root,gid=web,credentials=/root/.cifs/username

Contents of /root/.cifs/username are:

username=<username>
password=<password>

> Need three things:
> 1) verify client version ("cat /proc/fs/cifs/DebugData")
> 2) describe server version (if you don't know it, the NOS and OS
> version reported
> by the server should also be visible if you "cat /proc/fs/cifs/DebugData")
> 3) confirm whether or not the mount option (perhaps misspelled), which
> is presumably not recognized, is logged in dmesg (you can type "dmesg"
> in a bash shell to display the error log).

1) /proc/fs/cifs/DebugData:

Display Internal CIFS Data Structures for Debugging
CIFS Version 1.53
Active VFS Requests: 0
Servers:
1) Name: 1.2.3.4  Domain: UQ Mounts: 1 OS: Unix
         NOS: Samba 3.0.25b      Capability: 0xf3fd
         SMB session status: 1   TCP status: 1
         Local Users To Server: 1 SecMode: 0x3 Req On Wire: 0
MIDs:

Shares:
1) \\servername\share Uses: 1 Type: NTFS DevInfo: 0x0 Attributes: 0xb
PathComponentMax: 255 Status: 1 type: 0

The "Capability" is 0x80f3fd when Linux Extensions are enabled, but
that's the only difference.

2) Server version - smbclient also reports Samba 3.0.25b, don't know the
OS though (not my server)

3) dmesg - no messages appear in dmesg.  The mount options (in fstab)
were copied and pasted from the previous PC, where they worked.  At any
rate the same mount options work when Linux Extensions are disabled in
/proc.

I did get one message in dmesg:

  CIFS VFS: No response for cmd 50 mid 333

However I have been unable to replicate it so I unsure if it's related
to the problem.

Cheers,
Adam.