[linux-cifs-client] Cifs, loop, large files and umount results in CIFS VFS: Nowritable handles for inode - on both Ubuntu and Debian

Thomas Kjaergaard cifs at pci.dk
Sun Aug 3 09:50:42 GMT 2008

I forgot to mention that I have tried with the mount options forcedirectio
and direction.

Those options does impact the performance of the mount, but does not avoid
the problem.

All tests is on a LAN and I don't get the errors if I don't tunnel it
through the loop device.

I suspect the "losetup -d /dev/loop0" don't end the loop device's connection
to the driveimage file correctly.
It's the same if I use the loop integrated mount command:

"mount -o loop,encryption=aes /mnt/linkstation/driveimage /mnt/backup -p0 <
/root/scripts/loop.cfg"

and then unmount with "umount /mnt/backup/"

Eventually, should I look for a totally different backup storage strategy?

Med venlig hilsen / Best Regards
Thomas Kjærgaard