[linux-cifs-client] Re: linux-cifs workflow and git trees (was: cp -p localfile to a winnt, w2k0, winxp server - and legacy servers)

Steve French smfrench at gmail.com
Sat Aug 2 17:28:27 GMT 2008

On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 6:04 AM, Jeff Layton <jlayton at redhat.com> wrote:
> I also don't envy Steve's task, which is why I'd like to see us use the
> tools to make it easier for him...
The biggest two things that would help me are simple a) all patches in
"git-am" form
so I can apply them immediately if the review passes b) a place to dump
places (anonynmous ftp would be fine) tmp-directory - where I could
move patches into different subdirs (or mark them)
based on status e.g. "deferred", "not-reviewed",  "additional review needed",
or "need changes" (e.g.the patch won't merge cleanly or would
be improved with changes)

> My idea about having my own git tree is really just as an
> organizational tool to make it easier for me to feed patches to him. I
> tend to push quite a few patches to Steve and keeping them organized in
> email is tough. If I were to host a "for-cifs-devel" branch on my git
> tree that has patches that I'm ready to push to Steve then that makes
> it easier for him to pull them into his tree. For people who post
> patches only occasionally, it's probably not as useful and the list is
> fine.
>
> I don't think anyone else but Steve would be a "consumer" of my tree.
> What would be nice though is an extra devel or test branch in Steve's
> tree for active development. Steve could pull new patches into that
> branch without fear of breaking the "main" branch that he feeds to
> Linus. As patches mature in that branch they could then be moved to a
> "for-linux-next" branch and then eventually a "for-linus" branch...
>
> The details of this are really up to him, but I do think that we need
> some mechanism to keep patches from just sitting on the mailing list.
> Right now, they're just not getting the testing exposure that they
> should...
>
> Coordination via IRC would also be a good thing. #samba-technical works
> for me too. We can always open a new channel if that becomes too messy.
>
> --
> Jeff Layton <jlayton at redhat.com>

Steve