[linux-cifs-client] Re: CIFS mount breaks when LinuxExtensionsEnabled

Steve French smfrench at gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 18:28:20 GMT 2008

> Hi all,
>
> I'm just setting up a new machine with a new kernel version (2.6.26) and
> I just discovered that I can no longer disable the UNIX/POSIX extensions
> properly.
>
> If I mount a CIFS share normally all is fine, except nobody can access
> the files because of the permissions.  But if I then "echo 0 >
> /proc/fs/cifs/LinuxExtensionsEnabled" and remount the share to fix this,
> it comes up empty, with "ls" reporting zero files.  If I enable the
> extensions again and remount then all the files reappear.
>
> I never had any troubles with this on the old machine, so something
> must've changed between its ancient kernel version and 2.6.26.
>
> Are other people able to successfully mount CIFS shares with the
> extensions disabled and this kernel version?  Any other ideas what might
> be causing this?

Need three things:
1) verify client version ("cat /proc/fs/cifs/DebugData")
2) describe server version (if you don't know it, the NOS and OS
version reported
by the server should also be visible if you "cat /proc/fs/cifs/DebugData")
3) confirm whether or not the mount option (perhaps misspelled), which
is presumably not recognized, is logged in dmesg (you can type "dmesg"
in a bash shell to display the error log).

Steve