[linux-cifs-client] CIFS hangs Windows Server 2003 with loop errors

Jeff Layton jlayton at redhat.com
Fri Aug 1 14:47:42 GMT 2008

On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 11:37:20 -0300
"Renato S. Yamane" <yamane at diamondcut.com.br> wrote:

> Jeff Layton wrote:

> >> # uname -a
> >> Linux mandachuva 2.6.25-2-686 #1 SMP Fri Jul 18 17:46:56 UTC 2008 i686
> >> GNU/Linux
> >>
> >> mount package is 2.13.1.1-1 (Debian Lenny).
> >
> > I've not seen this, but you may want to try a different auth scheme. Maybe
> > try mounting with:
> >
> >     sec=ntlm
> >
> > ...or...
> >
> >     sec=ntlmv2i
> >
> > ...and see if that prevents the problem.
>

> Problem still happening :-(
>
> Windows 2003 Server logged this:
> ------------
> Event Id:6032
> EFS does not support encryption over network sessions established using
> the NTLM protocol
> ------------
>
> And I can't use sec=none:
> ------------
> mount error 13 = Permission denied
> Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)
> ------------
>
> I'm the only one that use Linux in network environment, and IT Admin are
> very furious with me, because when I crash Windows Server (with loop
> errors caused by CIFS) they need restart server.

Actually, I think those "EFS" messages may be a red herring. It sounds
like those are just warnings, but shouldn't prevent anything from
working.

My guess is that something else is happening. It looks like the server
isn't responding to the client here, but you may want to look at some
network captures and see what's going on.

You might also try updating to a newer kernel and mount.cifs program
and see if those help.