[linux-cifs-client] CIFS mount breaks when LinuxExtensionsEnabled == 0

Adam Nielsen adam.nielsen at uq.edu.au
Fri Aug 1 07:19:29 GMT 2008

Hi all,

I'm just setting up a new machine with a new kernel version (2.6.26) and
I just discovered that I can no longer disable the UNIX/POSIX extensions
properly.

If I mount a CIFS share normally all is fine, except nobody can access
the files because of the permissions.  But if I then "echo 0 >
/proc/fs/cifs/LinuxExtensionsEnabled" and remount the share to fix this,
it comes up empty, with "ls" reporting zero files.  If I enable the
extensions again and remount then all the files reappear.

I never had any troubles with this on the old machine, so something
must've changed between its ancient kernel version and 2.6.26.

Are other people able to successfully mount CIFS shares with the
extensions disabled and this kernel version?  Any other ideas what might
be causing this?

Many thanks,
Adam.