[linux-cifs-client] SMB_COM_CLOSE and LastWriteTime

Jeff Layton jlayton at redhat.com
Thu Apr 24 14:21:13 GMT 2008

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 16:13:46 +0200
Guenter Kukkukk <linux at kukkukk.com> wrote:

> Am Donnerstag, 24. April 2008 schrieb Guenter Kukkukk:
>
> > An additional note:
> > i get the following, when i use
> > cp -p foo /mnt/linux/cifs
> > cp: preserving permissions for `/mnt/linux/cifs/settime.c': Input/output error
> > I must specify the "noacl" mount option to avoid this.
> > Happens when mounting recent 3.0.x or 3.2 samba server.
>
> Ouch - should read
>
> cp -p settime.c /mnt/linux/cifs
> cp: preserving permissions for `/mnt/linux/cifs/settime.c': Input/output error
>
> We can leave this one alone atm - could also be a wrong server setup.
> Cheers, Günter

Agreed. This doesn't appear to be directly related to the problem with
setting times.

I tested out the patch that you sent on March 13 and it seems to fix
the problem of setting times against win2k3. My only concern is that it
looks like it rips out some of the code that did an implicit
open/setattr/close of a file when it's not already open. Some comments
seem to indicate that older servers needed the file open in order to
properly set the time. Do we know that this won't break against older
servers?