[linux-cifs-client] cifs mount shows echoed two-deep false directory path

Jeff Layton jlayton at redhat.com
Fri Apr 4 20:21:57 GMT 2008

On Thu, 3 Apr 2008 09:42:05 -0300
"D G Teed" <donald.teed at gmail.com> wrote:

> Originally this had been working fine but since it isn't in
> production yet, it is hard to pinpoint when it changed behaviour
> - just sometime in the last month.
>
> We have from Redhat EL 5 samba client to Windows 2003 shares.
> Windows provides DFS if attaching to the ADC, but we are attaching
> to one of the two machines providing the service directly and it has
> worked fine.
>
> In fstab we have:
>
> //winserver.mydomain.ca/Users      /home/www/      cifs
> credentials=/root/web_credentials,ro 0 0
>
> It mounts fine, but the path under /home/www has problems.
> Where I expect to see : /home/www/username/index.htm
> I actually see : /home/www/username/username/username/index.htm
>
> Within /home/www/any-username I can list all user directories visible
> from /home/www
> Within /home/www/usernameA/usernameB I can list all user directories
> I can reach usernameA's actual contents with a path like this:
> /home/www/usernameA/usernameB/usernameA
> or this:
> /home/www/usernameB/usernameC/usernameA

That sounds rather strange. I don't see that behavior at all, but my
RHEL5 box has a relatively recent kernel. I also don't have any DFS
stuff configured on my win2k3 box.

> Yet, if I use smbclient to connect (from same client as above), and I
> cd to any username,
> I correctly see the user's home directory contents.  Since smbclient works, I
> think the problem is with cifs mount.
>
> Here is my DebugData from /proc/fs :
>
> Display Internal CIFS Data Structures for Debugging
> CIFS Version 1.48aRH
> Active VFS Requests: 0
> Servers:
> 1) Name: 131.162.200.110  Domain: MYDOMAIN Mounts: 1 OS: Windows
> Server 2003 R2 3790 Service Pack 2
>         NOS: Windows Server 2003 R2 5.2 Capability: 0x1f3fd
>         SMB session status: 1   TCP status: 1
>         Local Users To Server: 1 SecMode: 0x3 Req On Wire: 0
> MIDs:
>
> Shares:
> 1) \\winserver.mydomain.ca\Users Uses: 1 Type: NTFS DevInfo: 0x20
> Attributes: 0x700ff
> PathComponentMax: 255 Status: 1 type: DISK
>
> I've tried restarting samba (shouldn't make any different as this is a client).
> I've tried rmmod cifs and modprobe cifs and remounting, no difference.
>
> These packages have been updated from Redhat in the last month
> (I mention this because it was working properly before):
>
> kpartx.x86_64
> device-mapper-multipath.x86_64
> srvadmin-omilcore.i386
> srvadmin-deng.i386
> srvadmin-omauth.i386
> srvadmin-omacore.i386
> srvadmin-storage.i386
> firmware-tools.noarch
> srvadmin-odf.i386
> dell-hw-indep-repository.noarch
> srvadmin-storageservices.i386
> tzdata.noarch
> kernel-headers.x86_64
> firmware-addon-dell.x86_64
> krb5-libs.x86_64
> cups-libs.x86_64
> krb5-libs.i386
> cups-libs.i386
> firefox.x86_64
> firefox.i386
> cups.x86_64
> krb5-workstation.x86_64
> gnome-screensaver.x86_64
>
> I checked multipath.conf and it seems to be disabled:
> blacklist {
>         devnode "*"
> }

That should be completely unrelated.

> I've never used it before, but given this problem my attention is
> drawn to that name!
>
> As usual, the Windows admin swears nothing changed on his end.
>
> Any ideas why we have the problem or how we can work around it?

Hmm you don't list a kernel update and you also don't mention what
kernel rev you're using here. Can you post the kernel and samba-client
package versions you're testing this on?