[linux-cifs-client] Re: mount.cifs

Steven French sfrench at us.ibm.com
Fri Sep 14 19:44:18 GMT 2007

> I must to get home-directories mounted from win server 2003 R2. Our
> home-dir?s is ordered different sub-dir?s on R2 and I must
> ?mount.cifs //server/share/subdir/subdir2 /home/USER?, but that doesn?t
work.

>Are there any plans to make property like I describe?
>
>I have no capabilities to make another mount with ?bind-option.

We called what you are asking for "deep tree mounts" and added it to
the kernel in cifs 1.46.    You can specify it directly by using the
cifs mount option  "prefixpath"

For kernel module 1.46 or later.  You could type

mount.cifs //server/share /home/USER -o prefixpath=subdir/subdir2

instead of

mount.cifs //server/share/subdir/subdir2 /home/USER

But converting the latter (what you described) to the form with
"prefixpath=" is supposed to
be done automatically by mount.cifs.   Are you sure that you don't have an
older version
of mount.cifs ("/sbin/mount.cifs -V" should be version 1.10 or later)?

Steve French
Senior Software Engineer
Linux Technology Center - IBM Austin
phone: 512-838-2294
email: sfrench at-sign us dot ibm dot com