[linux-cifs-client] chmod +x doesn't work with cifs

Bj ø rn Tore Sund bjorn.sund at it.uib.no
Mon Sep 10 19:07:04 GMT 2007

On 10/9/07 08:16, "Eric PEYREMORTE" <eric.peyremorte at iut-valence.fr> wrote:

>> On Thu, 2007-09-06 at 15:44 +0200, Eric PEYREMORTE wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I have users home directories mounted with cifs, unix extensions enabled
>>> with samba 3.0.24.
>>>
>>> When changing permissions with chmod i can change whatever i want : rw
>>> but can't set any file with +x...
>>>
>>> i use the following options :
>>> rw, setuids, serverino, mapchars, nobrl
>>>
>>> i tried removing the option but doesn't change the chmod problem...
>>>
>>> I'm really desperate... please help...

I suggest you have a look at the security mask, directory security mask,
create mask, directory mask, as well as the various force () mode smb.conf
parameters.  Depending on your system you may have a non-standard default
for one of these, and Linux distribution smb.conf-defaults often set the
mask on the share level...

Bjørn
Bjørn Tore Sund       Phone: 555-84894   Email:   bjorn.sund at it.uib.no
IT department         VIP:   81724       Support: http://bs.uib.no
Univ. of Bergen

When in fear and when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout.