[linux-cifs-client] enabling mapchars from NTFS share server

Jeff Weber jweber at amsc.com
Wed Oct 31 16:33:22 GMT 2007

It appears the NTFS network share I need to use does not support the
mapchars client option.  I suspect the option caveat "... This has no
effect if the server does not  support  Unicode  on  the wire." is true.

Here's the DebugData:
~ <8> cat /proc/fs/cifs/DebugData
Display Internal CIFS Data Structures for Debugging
CIFS Version 1.49
Active VFS Requests: 0
Servers:
1) Name: 172.26.0.52  Domain: ASC_WEST Mounts: 1 OS: Windows 5.0
        NOS: Windows 2000 LAN Manager   Capability: 0xf3fd
        SMB session status: 1   TCP status: 1
        Local Users To Server: 1 SecMode: 0x3 Req On Wire: 0 In Send: 0
In MaxReq Wait: 0
MIDs:

Shares:
1) \\supermad2\MDUsers Uses: 1 Type: NTFS DevInfo: 0x20 Attributes:
0x700ff
PathComponentMax: 255 Status: 1 type: DISK

What request can I make to the Windows Sysadmin such that the cifs
client mapchars option will work?

	thanks,
	Jeff