[linux-cifs-client] error while writing large file to Windows share

Noah Romer nromer at arcmailtech.com
Mon Oct 29 22:37:49 GMT 2007

On Saturday 27 October 2007, Jeff Layton <jlayton at redhat.com> wrote:

> I'd highly recommend updating the kernel and seeing if you're still
> having problems. 2.6.18-ish kernels are pretty ancient by now and with
> Fedora we don't generally backport fixes.
>
> There's also a very recent patch that went in to fix a long-standing
> memory corruption bug with CIFS when kernel_recvmsg returns -EAGAIN.
> You'll most definitely want that as well, but I don't think that's made
> it into any Fedora kernels yet -- I'll see if I can get that included
> in the next set of builds...

First, in case you didn't notice from the kernel and samba versions, I typo-ed
the Fedora Core release, it's FC5 not FC6. We're in the process of
developing/testing a FC5->FC6 transition. I'll keep an eye out for
the -EAGAIN patch in the FC kernels, we'll definitely want that. We've got a
rather time consuming kernel validation process we have to go through. With
boxes residing at remote locations that we often don't have shell/ssh access
to, we can't afford to have kernel problems (there's a large number of
userland subsystems that we can work around remotely, if we have to, but
kernel oopses and debugging are another thing all together).

Thanks for the info/suggestions, gives us a place to work from.
--
Noah Romer <nromer at arcmailtech.com>
GPG Key Fingerprint: 944E C2F8 EBEC BCC7 EEA9  9381 1B21 0098 CC8D 45BA