[linux-cifs-client] re: soft links behavior

Steve French (smfltc) smfltc at us.ibm.com
Tue Oct 23 16:22:26 GMT 2007

Are you sure that you are using "mount -t cifs" instead of the obsolete smbfs ("mount -t smbfs")

>It didn't recognize the options nounix neither nolinux (ie. had no
>effect). Maybe I got the wrong version after all.
You can tell the version of the cifs module either of two ways:

1) Run /sbin/modinfo against the file cifs.ko
(/lib/modules/<version>/kernels/fs/cifs/cifs.ko)

2) modprobe cifs
then    "cat /proc/fs/cifs/DebugData"

If CONFIG_PROC_FS is set in the build (which you will see turned on for Ubuntu and most common distros) you should have such the /proc/fs/cifs files as CONFIG_PROC_FS is the only dependency on this piece of code and it is called when the cifs.ko module is initialized (e.g. "modprobe cifs")

> The current Ubuntu version for smbfs (the package that contains
> mount.cifs) is 3.0.26 (11 September 2007)
This feature (nounix) does not have a dependency on newer mount.cifs so that should be new enough.

Note that there is a backported version of the fs/cifs directory which can be used to build cifs.ko on older kernels (in case this kernel is too old to have the "nounix" mount option and you don't want to turn it off via /proc/fs/cifs/LinuxExtensionsEnabled)