[linux-cifs-client] Re: soft links behaviour

Renato Golin renato at ebi.ac.uk
Tue Oct 23 08:24:05 GMT 2007

Hi Steve,

thanks for the quick answer!

Steve French wrote:
> 1) Before you mount to the server from this client you could disable
> the Unix Extensions (by "echo 0 >
> /proc/fs/cifs/LinuxExtensionsEnabled") so the Linux client will look
> more like a Windows client and thus get the automatic follow symlink
> behavior used by the server for handling Windows clients.   You can
> renable them ("echo 1 > /proc/fs/cifs/LinuxExtensionsEnabled") before
> you mount to a different server if you want Unix Extensions on that
> new mount (the global flag is only checked during session setup).

I've seen it in some forums but my /proc/fs directory only contains one
subdir "nfsd".

> 2) You also can specify "nounix" (or equivalently "nolinux") on the
> mount command (after -o ie in the mount options).  This mount option
> was added for cifs version 1.50 ("cat /proc/fs/cifs/DebugData" to see
> the version of your cifs client).   This mount option disables the use
> of the Unix Extensions for that mount, and is probably the better
> solution for your situation.

It didn't recognize the options nounix neither nolinux (ie. had no
effect). Maybe I got the wrong version after all.

The current Ubuntu version for smbfs (the package that contains
mount.cifs) is 3.0.26 (11 September 2007) but I couldn't find the date
of cifs 1.50. I'll download the source, compile and test and if it works.

Thank you,
--renato

--
Reclaim your digital rights, eliminate DRM, learn more at