[linux-cifs-client] Can we trust the server to return proper signing capability on session setup

Steve French (smfltc) smfltc at us.ibm.com
Thu Oct 4 20:13:52 GMT 2007

If the Linux cifs client turns off signing (signing is available by
default), but the server requires it, the client still attempts session
setup.  Presumably the original reason for this was that we did not
trust the server to always get the flags right - and it does not hurt to
try to continue (if the server does not like getting unsigned packets it
will take the session down).   The cifs client does log a warning
message that signing was turned off (on the client) but the server
requires it, but the error on mount will be "Resouce Temporarily
Unavailable" (rc = -11) since the server session went away (the user
does not see a more intuitive error e.g. Operation Not Supported)

1) What should the posix error be (EOPNOTSUPP is not strictly true, and
EACCESS is misleading) ?

2) Should the client override the tconx error (-11) for this case or not
attempt tconx at all (when it would get EOPNOTSUPP presumably, but might
run into problems if the server screwed up the flags as we have seen
some do recently)