[linux-cifs-client] CIFS mounted files are corrupt when passed to apache web clients

Jeff Layton jlayton at redhat.com
Wed Nov 28 17:48:33 GMT 2007

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 09:08:13 -0800 (PST)
JNaujok <Jester at devista.org> wrote:

> Jeremy Allison wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Nov 19, 2007 at 05:53:30PM -0600, Dan Cardin wrote:
> >> by CIFS.  When the customer attempts to access any binary file thru
> >> Apache the file is either corrupt, or transfers 0 bytes.
> >

> I can confirm this happens on FC8 with a CIFS mounted directory on
> Apache 2.2.6. The cutoff appears to be anything over 128 bytes. I
> have a set of files ranging from 64 bytes to 8K. Anything over 128
> bytes comes back as zero bytes. I'm setting up WireShark now to try
> and get a dump of the network packets.
>
> This only happens through apache, I can read/write/whatever the files
> locally, even as the apache user.

That suggests that apache is doing something different than you're
doing as an ordinary user. It would be good to understand what that is.
I'd suggest attaching strace to the apache process that's handling the
request and see what it's doing when the request for the file comes in.

I wonder if it's doing sendfile() and that's not working right?