[linux-cifs-client] How to get /proc/fs/cifs/LinuxExtensionsEnabled without an error?

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Tue Nov 20 11:59:02 GMT 2007

I recently got excellent advice from here on how to get a Network
Drive with an oldish Samba implementation to mount successfully using
mount.cifs.

To get the mount to work root needs to:-

    echo 0 > /proc/fs/cifs/LinuxExtensionsEnabled

However I have just discovered that this fails until a CIFS mount has
been attempted because /proc/fs/cifs/LinuxExtensionsEnabled doesn't
exist.

So is there a clean way of getting /proc/fs/cifs/LinuxExtensionsEnabled
to exist?

E.g. I can get it to work by doing the following:-

    mount /freecom
    echo 0 > /proc/fs/cifs/LinuxExtensionsEnabled
    mount /freecom

But I'd really prefer a cleaner way than using that first mount that
fails.  (the mount works because there's an entry in /etc/fstab BTW)

--
Chris Green