[linux-cifs-client] mount.cifs gives error 20 with old[er] Samba servers, any fixes?

Jeff Layton jlayton at redhat.com
Fri Nov 16 17:08:56 GMT 2007

On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 16:55:03 +0000
Chris G <cl at isbd.net> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 16, 2007 at 10:25:40AM -0500, Jeff Layton wrote:
> > On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 14:48:55 +0000
> > Chris G <cl at isbd.net> wrote:
> >
> > > It didn't understand the nounix!  There's a couple of other
> > > errors but I'm not competant to understand them.
> > >

> > Yep. Old kernel, you can also do this:
> >
> > # echo 0 > /proc/fs/cifs/LinuxExtensionsEnabled
> >
> > ...and try to mount.
> >
> That's fixed it!  :-)
>
> Is there a way to do the above permanently - e.g. a kernel parameter
> at boot time, or even a custom kernel?  .... and do I lose anything by
> doing it (presumably it only affects CIFS mounts)?

Hmm, not that I know of -- it's not a sysctl. I suppose you could write
a little script that modprobe's the module and echoes the value.

Alternately you could disable unix extensions on the server. It looks
like they're not working correctly anyway. See "unix extensions" in
the smb.conf manpage. You might want to consider a samba upgrade on the
server if that seems to work.

> > >     root at garage:~# smbclient -V
> > >     Version 3.0.23c
> > >     root at garage:~#
> > >

> > You might get better results with a 2.6.23 based kernel.
> >
> > The actual version of smbclient doesn't matter, what does matter is
> > the version of the samba-client package, which contains the
> > mount.cifs program.
> >
> Sorry, I didn't realise you meant the one on the non-working system.
> It's as follows:-
>
>     samba-client - 3.0.26a-6.fc7.x86_64
>
> I have tried upgrading to the latest Fedora version available:-
>
>     samba-client - 3.0.27-0.fc7.x86_64
>
> but it's still just the same, doesn't recognise the nounix.
>
> Would a newer samba-client be likely to fix the problem, or at least
> allow the nounuix option in the mount command?  How new do I need?
>
> Thanks very much for your excellent remote diagnosis, it's saved me a
> lot of hassle.

No problem...I thought the latest kernel would have that, but maybe
I'm mistaken...