[linux-cifs-client] mount.cifs gives error 20 with old[er] Samba servers, any fixes?

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Fri Nov 16 16:55:03 GMT 2007

On Fri, Nov 16, 2007 at 10:25:40AM -0500, Jeff Layton wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 14:48:55 +0000
> Chris G <cl at isbd.net> wrote:
>
> > It didn't understand the nounix!  There's a couple of other errors but
> > I'm not competant to understand them.
> >

> Yep. Old kernel, you can also do this:
>
> # echo 0 > /proc/fs/cifs/LinuxExtensionsEnabled
>
> ...and try to mount.

That's fixed it!  :-)

Is there a way to do the above permanently - e.g. a kernel parameter
at boot time, or even a custom kernel?  .... and do I lose anything by
doing it (presumably it only affects CIFS mounts)?

> >     root at garage:~# smbclient -V
> >     Version 3.0.23c
> >     root at garage:~#
> >

> You might get better results with a 2.6.23 based kernel.
>
> The actual version of smbclient doesn't matter, what does matter is the
> version of the samba-client package, which contains the mount.cifs
> program.

Sorry, I didn't realise you meant the one on the non-working system.
It's as follows:-

    samba-client - 3.0.26a-6.fc7.x86_64

I have tried upgrading to the latest Fedora version available:-

    samba-client - 3.0.27-0.fc7.x86_64

but it's still just the same, doesn't recognise the nounix.

Would a newer samba-client be likely to fix the problem, or at least
allow the nounuix option in the mount command?  How new do I need?

Thanks very much for your excellent remote diagnosis, it's saved me a
lot of hassle.

--
Chris Green