[linux-cifs-client] mount.cifs gives error 20 with old[er] Samba servers, any fixes?

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Thu Nov 15 22:39:25 GMT 2007

I am running Fedora 7 which has mount.cifs version: 1.10.

This works fine with 'real' Windows XP shared files so it would seem
that it is installed and functional.

However when I try and mount a network hard drive that runs a Samba
server I get the error:-

    mount error 20 = Not a directory
    Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)

Searching Google for this error suggests that it's some sort of
incompatibility between mount.cifs and older Samba servers.

I happend to have an old Slackware system which still has smbmount
from Samba Version 3.0.23c, this mounts my share without problems.

E.g. the following works from my Slackware system:-

    smbmount //192.168.1.65/chris /freecom -o username=chris,password=xxxxxxx,workgroup=IBMPEERS

but the mount.cifs on my Fedora system doesn't work:-

    mount.cifs //192.168.1.65/chris /freecom -o username=chris,password=xxxxxxx,workgroup=IBMPEERS
    mount error 20 = Not a directory
    Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)

Is there any sort of workaround for this problem?  It would be a real
hassle to get smbmount/mount.smbfs built on Fedora 7.  Yes, I know it
would be good if the Network Drive could be fixed to work with CIFS
but I suspect that could be a good long way in the future.

--
Chris Green