[linux-cifs-client] Re: using kerberos...?

Steve French smfrench at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 23:55:33 GMT 2007

Kerberos support for the cifs client is almost ready for testing, but
is not in current (2.6.23) or earlier kernels yet.  Due to some good
work over the past few months, in the current cifs development tree,
most of the kernel code necessary for Kerberos support is complete
though.  I am evaluating one additional patch from Jeff Layton which
is necessary for the kernel code. It will also need one additional
utility (in user space) in order for Kerberos support to work, but the
kernel code should be available in the -mm kernels (Andrew Morton's
development kernels) within a week or two.  At this rate, I would
expect this support to easily make the 2.6.25 mainline kernel, and a
backport of it would be available in cifs 1.52 (probably well
Advent/pre-Christmas vacations).

On Nov 5, 2007 4:25 PM, Stephen Cohoon <scohoon at raps.org> wrote:
>  I wanted to see where cifs stands regarding kerberos, I've seen conflicting
> information, some say "yes" while others "nay". I've been trying to mount to
> a windows share. Using ntlvmv2 with packet signing works but kerberos does
> not. I can read that the README file kerberos security is not yet
> implemented but wanted to make sure and ask. I've tried it myself and it
> doesn't seem to work but doesn't say "Hey, kerberos isn't working yet!" in
> the logs.

Steve